ten years ago today...








Today marks ten years since one of the luckiest days of my life.  “Lucky?  Really?”  Absolutely.  Had 26 year-old me ignored a persistent cough, pain in my chest, fatigue, instead, chalking it all up to nothing major, avoiding doctors’ visits, planning the next big ski trip or bike ride, I would not be sitting here typing this email. 

But I’m here. 

At some point I lost track of just how many CT scans, PET scans, MRI tests, EKGs, EEGs, lab draws, and yes, urine tests I’ve had.  How many hours spent on hospital time seems a not-insignificant amount of time, but the time spent OUTSIDE hospital-land has been made infinitely more valuable, more sacred, more revered.

The scary things, the platinum-based chemotherapy, toxic maintenance therapy, radiation - so, so much radiation - scars, tattoos, lost hair, lost weight, lost sense of balance, and lost words have lead to so much love and laughter.  Yes, so many tears, too, but most times even the tears turn into laughter, because it really sometimes does feel a bit absurd.

There’s nothing absurd about the knowledge I’ve gained and the person I’ve become over the past ten years.  I’d like to have gained an appreciation for some of these things through means less physically and mentally brutal, but I’m grateful nonetheless.  There are so many happy memories, and I am so grateful for every second spent in the fresh air, in beautiful places, around tables rich with food and wine and the days and evenings and nights of laughter, conversation, and those quiet moments, emotional moments.  There are too many of them to recount but they are what have taken me this far, and I hope there are many yet to come.

To mark this milestone, I ask you to take a few minutes to visit this website:

www.gofundme.com/teamtoughcookie

to make a donation - no amount is too small - so I can help other survivors in their fight.  I’m raising funds in order to purchase gift cards other for patients at Penn who will be spending time in chemo chairs during the upcoming holiday season.  Many of my hours spent at Penn have been during this darker time of year and my hope is receiving an unexpected gift from one of their chemo nurses will help brighten someone’s day. 

You can donate until November 25.

I truly appreciate your support over the years and please know I consider myself so lucky to have each of you as part of my team.  Give me a hell yeah!  W​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e’re still fighting.

Comments

Popular Posts