Livestrong and the 5 Boro Bike Tour


Five years ago I had the opportunity to spend a few hours every three weeks enjoying lunch in Greeley Square in Manhattan.  Sitting in the sun, devouring my falafel and watching the world go by, I was amazed by my sense of peace in the midst of the clamor of the city.  Time went too fast and I would routinely have to run the last few steps to my next train, bringing me to Boston and Mass General.

This spring, I'll have the opportunity to spend a few hours riding my bike on those typically-busy city streets.  The 40-mile Five Boro Bike Tour winds its way along roads closed to traffic and follows a route similar to that of the NY Marathon.  Starting in Manhattan and ending in Staten Island, one of the highlights for me will be climbing the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

I am riding as part of Team Livestrong.  There will not be a Challenge here in Philly this year and I saw this as a great chance to raise money for an organization I've been proud to support throughout my more than eight years with cancer.  This will be the only time this year I'll request your support and it will be greatly appreciated.  Most importantly, the funds raised will go directly to helping other cancer patients navigate their own cancer journeys, from learning about keeping track of the appointments and medicines, to seeking second opinions as well as clinical trials.  All of these can be overwhelming in the face of cancer.  Livestrong also offers counseling and support to patients and their loved ones.

My website sets my goal at $1,000 but I would like to raise at least $2,500.  

To sweeten the deal, I will be raffling off one men's and one women's Venture Jacket from The North Face.  Winners will be chosen on Cinco de Mayo.  "Tickets" are $10 each.  The more you donate, the more chances you have to win.  Please consider any donation you can manage - even $5 helps.  

Donate here - www.livestrong.org/fundraising/liz5boro2015.  There's still time to register and join Team Tough Cookie, too!

Thank you, as always, for your support.

Comments

Popular Posts