Well this wasn't part of the plan
Well, I'm sorry to say it but I'm back in the hospital today. Yesterday I had to visit the ER at the bequest of my surgery team because I had some fluid seeping from a spot at the top of my incision. They did a couple of scans and everything looks OK, but the fluid is still there, so they kept me overnight.
The fluid is either a result of infection or from fat cells breaking down. I'm on some antibiotics (joy) but haven't had a fever or other signs of infection so the latter is probably the case.
In order to (a) drain the fluid, (b) get a sample of the fluid to test it for infection and (c) insert a drain so the fluid can continue to resolve I'm going to have another surgery either today or tomorrow, it will be similar to my last one but it is called a "wash out". They don't do anything to my brain, which is nice. They'll clean it out and put the drain in and I'll probably be here a few more days. If it is indeed infected I'll have to be on antibiotics like over the summer.
Radiation will be delayed - how long, I don't know.
I feel a little like the sky is falling, but I'm glad I got here and now I'm in good hands.
Funny story - I couldn't eat all day yesterday. I had breakfast around 8 and half a donut (still a bit of a fat kid) on the way to the ER at 10. But then nothing to eat or drink all day in case they had to do surgery yesterday. At 10:30 pm a surgery resident came and confirmed no surgery that night. I had til midnight to eat. So, instead of going to sleep, I ate the following: peanut butter crackers, one bag of potato chips (to go with wawa hoagie I wasn't allowed to eat because it had sat around all day. I was fine with that), and from the pantry here on 9 Radvin: a dry turkey sandwich, a bowl of Cheerios, four packages of graham crackers, applesauce, strawberry jello, a bowl of corn flakes, and I even drank a 2% milk, something I haven't done in about six years. I also drank a giant cup of water and two apple juices. It was better than thanksgiving. I would've kept going if I wasn't going directly to bed.
I can't eat yet today - not until I find out about surgery.
So there you have it. I'll try to keep you posted about surgery.
The fluid is either a result of infection or from fat cells breaking down. I'm on some antibiotics (joy) but haven't had a fever or other signs of infection so the latter is probably the case.
In order to (a) drain the fluid, (b) get a sample of the fluid to test it for infection and (c) insert a drain so the fluid can continue to resolve I'm going to have another surgery either today or tomorrow, it will be similar to my last one but it is called a "wash out". They don't do anything to my brain, which is nice. They'll clean it out and put the drain in and I'll probably be here a few more days. If it is indeed infected I'll have to be on antibiotics like over the summer.
Radiation will be delayed - how long, I don't know.
I feel a little like the sky is falling, but I'm glad I got here and now I'm in good hands.
Funny story - I couldn't eat all day yesterday. I had breakfast around 8 and half a donut (still a bit of a fat kid) on the way to the ER at 10. But then nothing to eat or drink all day in case they had to do surgery yesterday. At 10:30 pm a surgery resident came and confirmed no surgery that night. I had til midnight to eat. So, instead of going to sleep, I ate the following: peanut butter crackers, one bag of potato chips (to go with wawa hoagie I wasn't allowed to eat because it had sat around all day. I was fine with that), and from the pantry here on 9 Radvin: a dry turkey sandwich, a bowl of Cheerios, four packages of graham crackers, applesauce, strawberry jello, a bowl of corn flakes, and I even drank a 2% milk, something I haven't done in about six years. I also drank a giant cup of water and two apple juices. It was better than thanksgiving. I would've kept going if I wasn't going directly to bed.
I can't eat yet today - not until I find out about surgery.
So there you have it. I'll try to keep you posted about surgery.
Comments