on deck
So, what's next? Let's start with what happened. My tumor was a
metastasis, which means it was the lung cancer showing up in my brain.
Same lung cancer that's been in my lungs and my lymph nodes. It moves
around through the circulatory system and while we'd like to think we've
killed it all off, unfortunately that's not the case. So, the cancer
found its way to my noggin and luckily, when we caught it, it was just
one tumor in a spot that was easy to get to.
The tumor's been removed but now what? The chances I have tiny, molecular disease remaining in my brain are pretty high. And those little "seeds" of disease could/will one day manifest themselves as another tumor, one that might not be so "gentle" in its symptoms. We do know right now is the best time to treat this situation, because the stuff that may be there is tiny. I want to give myself the best chance at not having more cancer in my brain.
I am a unique patient because of my age, overall health, and the fact I have this ALK mutation in my cancer, the one that makes it possible to be on the Xalkori/Crizotinib. We are now fighting my cancer on two fronts - my body and my head, and as of a CT scan I had in the hospital, the stuff in my body is still responding to the Xalkori, so I am still taking it.
So, starting Monday, I'll start the next step of fighting the cancer in my brain, which is whole brain radiation (WBT). I have strayed from doing too much reading about it, but I have consulted with all of my doctors as well as a couple of new ones and I feel this is the best option considering my personal case. My treatments will be spread over five weeks, every day. I'll lose my hair, but it'll grow back. I have this crazy scar on my head this time around, so I might keep it covered more often than last time I was bald. I might get headaches, I might be nauseous, and I'm certain I'll be tired. But, my doctor has made it clear many people go through this and have pretty much normal days - it will be similar to radiation in 2007, just different. If all goes to plan, I'll ring the bell finishing my treatments two days before my birthday.
The past week has been the most difficult one of my cancer adventures, largely due to the cumulative physical and emotional effects of the steroid I've been on for nearly five weeks, but also just the emotional roller coaster of facing radiation and the added loop of the blood clot. Today's my first day without the steroid and I have my fingers crossed I'll be able to stay off it through the radiation. I am so looking forward to feeling like myself again, but I realize this is a marathon I'm running... one day at a time, or shorter.
It is a beautiful morning here but rain's promised later so it is time to get in a walk and have some breakfast.
The tumor's been removed but now what? The chances I have tiny, molecular disease remaining in my brain are pretty high. And those little "seeds" of disease could/will one day manifest themselves as another tumor, one that might not be so "gentle" in its symptoms. We do know right now is the best time to treat this situation, because the stuff that may be there is tiny. I want to give myself the best chance at not having more cancer in my brain.
I am a unique patient because of my age, overall health, and the fact I have this ALK mutation in my cancer, the one that makes it possible to be on the Xalkori/Crizotinib. We are now fighting my cancer on two fronts - my body and my head, and as of a CT scan I had in the hospital, the stuff in my body is still responding to the Xalkori, so I am still taking it.
So, starting Monday, I'll start the next step of fighting the cancer in my brain, which is whole brain radiation (WBT). I have strayed from doing too much reading about it, but I have consulted with all of my doctors as well as a couple of new ones and I feel this is the best option considering my personal case. My treatments will be spread over five weeks, every day. I'll lose my hair, but it'll grow back. I have this crazy scar on my head this time around, so I might keep it covered more often than last time I was bald. I might get headaches, I might be nauseous, and I'm certain I'll be tired. But, my doctor has made it clear many people go through this and have pretty much normal days - it will be similar to radiation in 2007, just different. If all goes to plan, I'll ring the bell finishing my treatments two days before my birthday.
The past week has been the most difficult one of my cancer adventures, largely due to the cumulative physical and emotional effects of the steroid I've been on for nearly five weeks, but also just the emotional roller coaster of facing radiation and the added loop of the blood clot. Today's my first day without the steroid and I have my fingers crossed I'll be able to stay off it through the radiation. I am so looking forward to feeling like myself again, but I realize this is a marathon I'm running... one day at a time, or shorter.
It is a beautiful morning here but rain's promised later so it is time to get in a walk and have some breakfast.
Comments