estoy cansada, pero feliz
today during my chemotherapy infusion my cell phone rang. i didn't recognize the number, but i decided to answer. i'm happy i did - it was long, long distance from the bottom of the world, punta arenas, chile. just about two years ago, brad (homero) and i spent an incredible vacation there, skiing, sipping pisco, seeing some sights and more than anything else, enjoying the incredible people we have met along the way. i consider myself very lucky to have met danilo y max y all of the TNF (former and current) chileans. their hospitality cannot be surpassed by a single hotel, and i can still make myself smile thinking of all the fun we had.
feliciatciones a danilo y cata, en punta arenas otra vez despues del matrimonio y luna de miel. que bacan, mis amigos.
after my treatment mom and i made good time driving home (mom did the driving, i did the napping) and i ate a meager lunch, followed by more napping.
the news concerning the echo cardiogram is that it is "mostly" normal and "mostly" not concerning. however, they are having a second cardiologist review it and i will most likely meet with him/her next week. there is a slight systolic disruption that seems to have my heart pumping a bit weaker than normal, but this can be common among athletes. because it is all new to me, we are taking the safe route and looking into everything. most likely this has nothing to do with my cancer, but it could be a side effect of all the treatments. we just don't know. but the last thing i want is to ignore it, be back on the road to recovery, and then have something happen when i am trying to be a runner again. stay tuned.
in other news, i didn't quite make it out of the woods of nausea hell this time around and while i haven't been sick, after two nights of being woken up by it despite taking my zofran, i succumbed and took some ativan last night. stuff worked like they said it would - mellowed me out, let me sleep, even let me eat some breakfast this morning. so i will hang in there with it through the end of this. because nausea sucks, just like, well not really, cancer.
and in the most fantastic news of the week, please congratulate princess lori on her successful completion of radiation treatments! she finished yesterday and already today marshall was calling me lori because he missed her so much :o) way to get it done, girl. enjoy the weekend!
Comments
Nausea sucks. Zofran is a wonderful wonderful beautiful drug. I can't imagine chemo before zofran. It is worth the $30+ per pill, I would pay out of pocket for that one if I had to... I love that pill until it stops working. Take the ativan. I took ambien when I needed sleep or reprieve. Sleep is good and it makes you better.
Go Lori! Liz is next!
ps. I was at HUP on Tuesday morning for some tests, I almost went looking for you because I had stickers with me... but I wasn't sure where to find you. You'll get some mail from me shortly.
Your news is good...friends calling from far away places when you need them the most, your echo looks pretty good and the cadiologists are thorough, the meds are working for you, and Lori completed her course of radiation. Your heart must be singing with love. Thank God for the miracles He gives us.
Keep smiling, Laurie
I too had an echo yesterday and had a similar report! How bizarre. I had the same reaction as you in that I thought it was good to have it done so that when I get back to being an athelet again I can do so without worry. I should say that another way because we are both always runners and athletes. That is in the mind and does not require the physical to make it true. The body will follow when it is time. I know you know that.
Sleep my friend. Your graduation is coming and after a few days of not being treated you too will start to feel your body come alive again.
Much love,
Princess Lori