Feliz Navidad!

Like Ella the avalanche dog undoubtedly will be later (in a different, snowier, colder, more mountainous time zone), I am awake early enough to see the first signs of light this Christmas. No snow to speak of, but a particularly heavy frost is a nice touch. Hopefully there was enough on the roof for Santa to make a safe landing; I've resisted the urge to head downstairs and have myself a peek; something tells me we're go for gift unwrapping in a few hours' time.
Being unable to sleep is both a blessing and a curse; the curse comes in furtively lying around listening to the snoring in other rooms (Chez Dols is full up tonight) wondering why, this time around, I can't seem to sleep through the night. I try to read, I turn the light back out, I try sleeping on the other side of the bed, all to no avail. So I give up, look out the window for a while, then turn on the computer. Might as well see what email I've received overnight (not much!).
The blessing is, this is regularly my favorite time of day, when I am awake with enough gusto to catch it. Slowly the light becomes brighter and I can see what kind of a day it is going to be. If there were mountains, the alpenglow would slowly start shining, cautiously at first, as if it were trying to sneak into the scene, then with a brilliance that can take your breath away. The air is crisp and cold, smells fresh and sounds quiet. There is so much promise in a new day; I, for one, think I can feel it, the energy, which maybe is what keeps me awake instead of snoozing soundly. It makes me hold my breath a bit, wondering what the day will hold.
I hope your Christmas is full of joyful and quiet moments, laughter and maybe a couple happy tears, delicious (REALLY delicious!) food, and loved ones - friends, family, pets. Enjoy the day and relax. Be happy. You deserve it.
Merry, happy! Smooches...
Comments