saturday therapy

Today I took it upon myself to improve upon my mediocre spirits.
Things started out not looking too hot; I wasn't paying attention as I cooked my pancakes and they ended up a little on the "roasted" side. It wasn't anything too much syrup couldn't fix and I ate a few of them, but not as much as I normally would (I think my appetite has taken a hit due to my nervousness).
Next, I (shhh) went for a short, slow bike ride around Unionville on my sweet new bike. I was getting really tired of watching it sit in my extra room, looking all lonely and forgotten. I donned my brand new TNF jersey and some great tights (not so tight with my skinny legs these days) and hit the road. I felt like a kid sneaking out of school! (At least I think so - never really did that, ever) The bike rolled along beautifully under my wheezing lungs and handled great despite a pretty good autumn wind. It was SO good to get out and get some fresh air and exercise. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath after the bigger hills, but it was worth it. I wasn't racing anyone, not even myself, and for the first time in a long time that was good enough for me. My lungs are still sore, as they were most of the day, but it is a small price to pay. Tomorrow I'll take it easy - walking only. But man, did I LOVE my ride today.
Following my illegal ride, Mom and I enjoyed a bit of shopping; she found a cute little lamp for the cabin, and I found nothing at all but I enjoyed a nice fall afternoon spent shopping in my little town. Mom made fun of me at lunch; I ordered soup and it came with crackers. The other day I devoured the crackers they gave me at the hospital; Mom told me I couldn't get over how DELLLLICOUSSSSSS they were. I was under the influence of some great drugs, what can I say?
Just when you thought it couldn't get better, I took a nap this afternoon, too!
I rounded out my day of therapy by taking in "Dodgeball" and "Old School" with some members of the Delaware Cyclocross Coalition of Delaware. The Penn State game was on, but the laughs belted out during these movies were probably better for me than the anxiety I would have endured watching the game. It was great to be out with 'cross folks, who are some of the nicest, most fun folks I've met in a long time. I really needed it.
And so, I now end this chapter, my day of fresh air, retail therapy, rest, food, and laughter. It was a great release and a refreshing change from how I spent most of last week.
Ahhhhhhhhh. 'Night.
Comments