psycho-cross...

My winter maintenance has officially begun.
Last night I attended a cyclocross practice. I hemmed and hawed, looking for excuses to avoid doing something new in front of strangers. Not only new, in front of strangers, but also wearing spandex and riding the wrong kind of bike. But alas, Wes had my best interests in mind and convinced me to do it. I knew I had to do it.
I got there and Wes gave some pointers on dismounting and then remounting, which are two key skills (along with numchuck and bowstaff skills) in the sport of cyclocross. It was fun, kind of easy, but I need a lot of practice. Things weren't going so bad. We rode around the course that had been set up, and this, too, wasn't so bad. But then we started riding around the course at race pace, and I almost died. Like, haven't practiced this hard since high school sports, died. My lungs were ready to burst (note to self: remember inhaler, now that you have one), my legs, accustomed to running, were miserable, and I was very confused. I signed up for what?
I can't wait to do it again.
Comments