back to school


Ah, fall. This time of year always makes me grin like a kid anticipating the end of the school year. Which is rather ironic, because this time of year, of course, kids are heading BACK to school. Why the youthful exuberance on my part?

First of all, the air is finally clearing itself of summer humidity and particulates. I just found out today that I've developed asthma sometime in the past year or so and the summer yuckiness here in the Mid Atlantic just makes it worse. Sleeping is wonderful with the windows thrown wide-open, lunches outside are relaxing and refreshing, and things even smell better. Fall really does get into the air.

Second, there are the fall activites, like college football on Saturday afternoons. I don't know when it happened, but I am a college football fan. Of course my heart belongs to the Nittany Lions, but in reality, I will while away a not-so-gorgeous fall afternoon watching just about any matchup ABC or ESPN has to offer. Fight songs, unsponsored athletic power, and rivalry keeps me tuned in as long as I'm not missing anyting outside, like sunshine and a wide open trail, or tailgate.

Another favorite fall activity (well, ok, year round for me) is daydreaming about which skis, poles, helmets, boots, or any other gear will be added to the quiver this fall in preparation for the skiing season. This year I am focusing on skis, honing in on slightly fatter tele boards. I'm on 70mm underfoot right now. I think 84 is where I want to be.

And my final reason (as far as this publication is concerned) for loving fall is because it is a perfect time of year to reflect upon where you've been, where you're headed, and what everyone else is up to around you. I think back to returning to State College after a summer away and catching back up with everyone - I like to do the same this time of year. There are many new beginnings even for folks finished with school, and it is exciting. Some friends head back to work (you brats enjoyed such lovely summers, I know!), some back to grad school, others just get psyched about fall just like me.



I hope everyone is gearing up for something fun - even if it is just watching the Nittany Lions beat up on Notre Dame this weekend.

Enjoy the first tidbits of fall, everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts